The Bungalow was built in 1918. It was the residence of Harry and Douglas Bookless, Scottish brothers who ran an extensive fisheries operation based in Hafnarfjördur in the first half of the 20th century. The highly influential brothers were the largest employers in the town for many years. Their company, Bookless Bros, was eventually taken over by another British company, Hellyer Bros Ltd from Hull.
The new owners continued to operate a flourishing business for some time. The building was reopened after refurbishment in 2008. It now houses an exhibition describing the period of foreign fisheries operations in Hafnarfjördur during the first half of the 20th century. The Bookless brothers’ drawing room has also been restored.